There are six highlight areas this year:
- National Film Registry - Turner Classic Movies and the Library of Congress are presenting a series of classic movies. National Velvet, Badlands, McCabe and Mrs. Miller, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre and The General. Sissy Spacek and her husband Jack Fisk, both of whom were involved in the Badlands will be special guests at it's showing.
- Kartemquin Films (documentary filming) - a collection of nine films will be presented this year to highlight their 45 years of documenting and critiquing society. They are best known for the film Hoop Dreams.
- Israeli/Jewish Voices - four films will be shown to spotlight Israeli film makers and four films will reflect Jewish culture and traditions.
- Focus on Local Food - two documentaries will be shown that examine the way we treat food. Cafeteria Man and Farmegeddon. Joel Saladin will be featured at Farmageddon.
- Virginia Filmakers Showcase - this year Virginia contemporary film will be celebrated
- Adrenaline Film Project - 10-12 teams compete to write, shoot, edit and screen films all within a 72 hour time-frame.